Thursday, January 10, 2013

Endo Journey: Lynn

The following Endo Journey is Lynn Nelson's personal struggle with endometriosis. I am happy to share Lynn's story and hope that you also find it inspiring:


Over the years, I had always had trouble with my cramps and periods. Never thought much of it, until I was with my long term boyfriend and intercourse became extremely painful. It wasn't enjoyable anymore. So I went to the doctor to get an ultrasound. I got the call back, and I went into the office assuming the worst.

I was informed that I had an ovarian cyst on my left ovary. He informed me that it wasn't a major concern and sent me to a Gyno. The Gyno did the regular check up and said it would eventually rupture and I could move on with my life. 

Well, it didn't get better. It actually got worse. 

So a few months later, I went to another doctor and requested an ultrasound. I got the call back informing me that they referred me to another Gyno and that there weren't any concerns, again. I wasn't even in the doctors office 5 minuets when he informed me I would need surgery, to remove the cyst. It had begun to pull on my ovary and was clearly causing lots of pain. It was also growing in size. We booked surgery to happen a few months later. 

He informed me that he wanted to take photos, so I could see the cause of the pain. After waking up from surgery, I was a mess. I was so nauseous and I felt like crap. I went to leave, and I was informed that he only prescribed me T3's, after pumping me full of the good stuff. So the nurse on duty, gave me something to cope with the pain. I wasn't due for my after surgery check up for 4 weeks. 

In those 4 weeks, I was a mess.

Always in pain, bloated and cranky. Once those 4 weeks were up, my boyfriend and I went into the office with light spirits, but left with heavy hearts. See, the photos I was given, I assumed were of my cyst and then the one with the cyst removed. We were totally wrong. 

The doctor informed me that sometime before surgery, my cyst had ruptured. And in fact, I have Stage 2 Endometriosis, teetering on Stage 3. Because I was so use to the pain, the cyst rupturing felt like nothing. He explained that the scar tissuing was causing all the pain and that when I bled, it bled. It explained it all. The pain, the random cramps. He went on to tell us that fertility could be effected by it, but it wasn't a for sure. I was only 19, I was devastated. To know that I WILL have to endure more surgeries in my future and that I may not be able to conceive a child of my own, really hit hard. 

I was blessed with a boyfriend that got it all. He would get me heating pads, pain meds and do whatever he could do to help me during those rough times. 
Unfortunately, we aren't together anymore. And to be with new people, intimately is tough. I don't know how to tell them that sex may hurt me and we will have to stop. None the less, I'm stuck with the rest of my life and in due time I will figure out how to tell others. 

I feel like everyday is a battle with my body. I'm currently on the Depo shot, which helps out a ton. I'm blessed enough to not get my period on it, but if I'm late in updating it, I get the worse periods. They can paralyze me and make me incapable of doing anything. On the outside, I look like a care free young adult. On the inside, I'm slowing deteriorating from pain.

It's life as I know it though.

                       

Thank you for sharing your story, Lynn. You are a very strong woman. It isn't fair that we have to suffer for so long before getting the answers we deserve. 
Despite having a difficult time with doctors, Lynn continued to fight to get answers for her pain. Her story is very encouraging. She is an amazing example of the courage and strength!

If you would like to share your personal Endo Journey, please leave a comment below or e-mail helloendoblog@gmail.com

xo Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...