Saturday, December 15, 2012

Endo Journey: Teresa

I have met an amazing woman  named Teresa through Twitter who has the same conditions that I have. Please follow her at @teresa_booth or add her on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/teresa.s.booth. She has given me a lot of advice and I truly admire her for being so strong through her difficult journey. She has decided to share her struggle with 3 pelvic disorders.

-------------------------------------------------------------

 My name is Teresa and I started having symptoms when I was 22.  I am 41 now.  I saw my gynecologist and got diagnosed via laparoscopy rather quickly.  I took birth control pills which helped for a while, and then decided to come off them.  I wanted to get pregnant, but we didn't try very hard.  Meaning, we didn't do anything to stop it, but we didn't put forth any extra efforts.  We later separated, so there was never a baby.  


In 1999, my periods had gotten so excruciatingly painful that I went back to my gynecologist and asked to be put back on BC.  She recommended the Depo-Provera 3-month injection.  I was on that for 5 years, and it worked wonders!!  I had no periods and NO PAIN for 5 years!  I gained a little weight, but I was okay with that.  I then found out through my own research that it was recommended for more than 2 years due to a risk of bone loss, something my doctor had not told me.  I opted to come off it because I had my bone density checked, and I had Osteopenia.  That is bone loss not severe enough to be considered Osteoporosis.  My gynecologist is the one who suspected I had IC, and she sent me to a Urologist.  I did, in fact, have it.  After I stopped the Depo-Provera, I tried various pills and various doctors.  

In 2008, I had a second laparoscopy.  I was found to have more active endo and adhesions.  It was ablated (burned off), and I continued on pills.  In 2009, nothing seemed to be helping the pain.  I requested a Hysterectomy from my gynecologist.  I also wanted my ovaries removed.  She told me it was the only cure, but she didn't think I should do it.  I was only 38, and surgically induced Menopause can be a nightmare.  In someone my age, there is an increased risk of heart disease as well as bone loss.  I agreed to take Estrogen pills, and she eventually agreed to do the surgery.  She told me there was some endo that she could not remove, due to the locations, and that it would dry up with my ovaries gone.  I later found this to be untrue.  I continued to be in pain.  

I was researching on the internet, and came across the website for the Center for Endometriosis Care in Atlanta, GA. I never dreamed I could go there, but I wanted to.  I have no insurance, so it seemed impossible.  They specialize in removing (excising) the endo, not organs.  I wished I had found them sooner.  Later, I joined a group on Facebook called The Endometriosis Research Center Discussion Group (it no longer exists).  There, I met the Program Director for the CEC in Atlanta.  She helped me do what I needed to do, and in July of this year, I was able to go there and have surgery with Dr. Sinervo.  The BEST surgeon I have ever been to, and the best surgery experience of my life.  He excised all of my endo.  

I can't say that I am pain free now.  I still have the IC and PFD.  I hope to resolve those issues in the future.  Whew.  I hope this wasn't too long, but my story is 19 years old.  I think you got the short version. :)

If you are seeking an excellent surgeon, please consider 
 http://www.centerforendo.com/ in Atlanta, GA.

------------------------------------------------

Thank you for sharing your story Teresa. I know that you have had a difficult struggle and know that there has been more pain then what has been written. I hope that you are able to control your IC and PFD symptoms soon. God Bless!

xo Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...