Saturday, February 2, 2013

Surgery #2 Post-Op

Surgery #2, my first hydrodistension went well. I was out of surgery and in the recovery room by 8am. After surgery, my surgeon advised the nurses that I could not go home until I was able to urinate 200cc. 

Between 8am and 8:30am, I was given two cups of apple juice and sent to the restroom. I tried to use relieve myself, but just saw a lot of blood in the measuring container. I was also told that I was not allowed to "push" while in the bathroom, so I called the nurse in and she told me that she would give me another IV fluid bag. I went back to my hospital bed and fell asleep after leaving the restroom. 

Around 11:30 am, the nurse woke me up and told me that I would need to try to empty my bladder again. So she helped me into the bathroom, and shut the door behind me. I still was unable to urinate after 2 glasses of apple juice and 3 bags of IV fluids. So, I was told that I would have to have a catheter inserted and would be able to have it removed the following day.

After the catheter was painfully inserted, I still only measured 100cc of urine. I was given the discharge papers and catheter care instructions, then wheel-chaired to our vehicle and the hubs drove me home. I spent the entire day Thursday sleeping and napping.

Friday morning, I woke up to call my surgeon to ask if I could come in to have the catheter removed. However, I was given bad news and told that I would have to wait until my bladder had more time to heal. So at 9am, on Monday morning I will finally be able to have this stupid catheter removed.

As far as if the hydrodistension has helped my IC symptoms or not, I am still not sure. If I were to answer now, I would say no. I just feel that since it is only 2 days after my surgery it is too soon to give a definitive answer.

I am still playing the waiting game.

Have you had a hydrodistension for IC relief? Did it help? 

xo Heather

P.S. If the hydrodistension has not helped, I will have another laparoscopy sooner than originally expected (2 months from now).



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...